Online Calculators > Health Calculators > Sleep Calculator
Sleep calculator is a sleep cycle calculator used to calculate your best sleep time based on the time you wake up or wake up time if you go to sleep now.
Most people sleep for an average of 6 to 9 hours each night or 4 to 6 sleep cycles. One sleep cycle is 90 minutes. It takes about 15 minutes for a person to for asleep.
Sleep Cycle Calculator
Best time to sleep based on 90 minutes of sleep cycles.
||7:30 am (Suggested)
||6:00 am (Suggested)
The when to wake up calculator calculates the ideal wake up time if you go to sleep now.
Best wakeup time based on 90 minutes sleep cycles.
||Wake up Time
||7:30 am (Suggested)
||6:00 am (Suggested)
||Sleep Time (5 Cycles)
||Sleep Time (6 Cycles)
What is a sleeping cycle?
A sleeping cycle is a cycle between different phases of sleep throughout the night. There are four stages of a sleep cycle, wake, light sleep, deep sleep, and REM sleep.
Light and deep sleep are a form of non-rapid eye movement sleep or NREM, whereas REM sleep is a rapid eye movement sleep. Most of our sleep time falls under the light sleep stage.
The average person sleeps about 6 to 9 hours each night and we need to go through all stages of a sleep cycle to have a good night's sleep. If you keep waking up at night, and not getting enough sleep in the deep sleep stage, you will feel tired even when you have already slept 6 to 9 hours.
How long is a sleep cycle?
A normal sleep cycle lasts about 90 minutes across the night. In order to feel refreshed in the morning, you need four to six cycles of sleep every night.
Since each sleep cycle is an hour and a half, four sleep cycles equal 6 hours, and six sleep cycles would equal 9 hours.
Which stage is the most important stage in a sleep cycle?
The most important stage is the deep sleep stage which makes up about 20% of the sleep stage.
Why is getting enough sleep important?
A good night's sleep improves your health, brain performance, and mood. It also keeps you feeling refreshed and energetic the following day.
Not having enough sleep will make you feel tired and not productive, more importantly, it leads to fatal diseases such as heart disease, stroke, weakened immune function, increased inflammation, and depression.
Sleeping well is more important than you think as it affects your mental and physical health.
7 diseases caused by lack of sleep
- Heart disease
- Weaken immune function
- High blood pressure
Since sleeping well is so important, we must do everything we can to improve the quality of our sleep.
Why can't I fall asleep?
The most common reason that people can't fall asleep is stress, either from work, school, finance, health, or relationships with others. Worrying about any of these things will keep you awake at night.
Even when you are not under stress, you might still have a habit of thinking at bedtime which will prevent you from falling asleep.
The average person has thousands and thousands of thoughts each day. It is difficult to stop these thoughts from entering your mind even when you are trying to sleep.
Some thoughts may get you excited or anxious, and one thought leads to another. The next thing you know, two hours have passed and you still couldn't fall asleep. Then you start to get mad at yourself and worry about not being able to get up on time for work or school.
This vicious thinking cycle keeps many people awake night after night, year after year. Following are a few tips that you can try to sleep better.
9 ways to sleep better
- Set a sleeping schedule - if you go to sleep at 10 pm and wake up at 6 am, do that every single day, even on weekends.
- Exercise - do some exercise or workout during the day such as jogging, yoga, or weight lifting. Regular exercising will make you feel tired at night and easier to fall asleep.
- Meditate - meditation helps ease your mind, reduces stress, and improves your mental health. It can also help you focus more and think less which is useful during sleep time. You don't have to meditate for hours, even a 5-minute meditation will help you fall asleep faster. You can meditate for a few minutes in a sitting position before you go to bed and continue to meditate lying in bed. This way, your mind will be focused on your breath instead of thinking. If you get distracted, just refocus on your breath. If you wake up at night, just starting to meditate lying in your bed, this way helps you fall back to sleep.
- Sunlight - getting enough sunlight in the morning is critical. Take a walk in the park, spend some time in nature, and enjoy the sunshine. Exposure to natural sunlight is important because it lets our body clock know when to wake up and when to sleep.
- Don't nap - even if you are tired from work or getting stressed, don't take naps during the day as that will make it harder to fall asleep at night. Try to stick to your sleeping schedule as much as possible.
- Reduce screen time - don't watch TV, or play with your computer, tablet, or phone an hour before you go to sleep. Too much exposure to screen time makes it difficult to fall asleep. Don't check your email at night as you might find something that concerns you and keeps you awake.
- Don't drink coffee after 12 pm - you can have your morning coffee, but don't consume anything that contains caffeine after lunch. Caffeine after 12 pm may affect the quality of your sleep.
- Use your bed only for sleep - Don't sit in your bed to watch Netflix, surf the internet, or study. Develop the habit of only going to bed when you need to sleep at night. So your mind knows that every time you go to bed, it's time to sleep.
- Sleep in complete darkness - get blackout curtains to prevent light from outside from entering your room. Get rid of anything with a light display in your bedroom such as a clock with light.
Hours of sleep by age
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 3
||12-16 hours (naps included)
||11-14 hours (naps included)
||10-13 hours (naps included)
||18 years and older
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 3:30
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 4
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 4:30
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 5
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 5:30
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 6
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 6:30
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 7
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 7:30
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 8
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 8:30
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 9
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 9:30
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 10
What Time Should I go to Bed if I Wake up at 10:30
Real Estate Calculators
Compound Interest Calculator
How Much House Can I Afford
eBay Fee Calculator
PayPal Fee Calculator
Etsy Fee Calculator
How Much do I Make a Year
Mixed Number to Decimal
Weight Loss Calculator
CM to Feet and Inches
MM to Inches
How Old am I
Random Name Picker
Random Number Generator